Thursday, November 10, 2011

Goes to DC

In my adult life, I've been to DC/VA twice in the past 3 years. I'm thankful to have friends who at the time lived in Baltimore and Quantico and were able to show me around. Today, I flew into Ronald Regan Washington National Airport on a rainy evening to meet one of my friends from Boston who moved to Arlington earlier this year. And of course, after the pat down at the airport [b/c I refuse to go through the body scanners] I learn that my flight is delayed. Of course it is! It seems that something would have to be very wrong for me to book a flight that actually departs on time. We finally leave about an hour late, so now instead of getting into DC around 8:30, I'm getting in at 9:30. I was in row 7, window seat on the side of the plane I seem to always sit in and had forgotten the whole "board the aircraft from the rear" rule. So, by the time I got on, there was hardly any room in the overhead bins for my suitcase. I HATE that people who sit in the back put their suitcases in the front of the aircraft b/c when we landed, I had to wait and walk back 10 rows to the overhead bin my suitcase was in. People, flying courtesy tip: store your suitcase ABOVE your own row.

The flight was rather bumpy and I can't help but think I'm flying on US Airways. The same airline that I nearly fell from the sky on a small plane flying from BOS to Rochester, NY 3 summers ago. The same airline Sully worked for, who successfully landed his plane on the Hudson. The same airline who has crashed in Buffalo, NY. So, yes, I made some prayers over and over again and gripped whatever I could which was my full glass of soda I just got [as if that would help us prevent crashing to our death in turbulence]. Very bumpy, but we landed safely. I got to see DC at night, which was cool.

My friend picked me up and we went to her apartment, which is a quick drive. We passed Arlington Cemetery and she lives practically down the street from the Air Force Memorial. I met her roommate who works at the pentagon and the 3 of us had hot cider spiked with spice rum and snickerdoodles.

Oh and let me say this. My friends apartment, is like, a real apartment. And what I mean by that is it's the type I'm familiar with, reminded me of San Diego. No security doors, kind of reminds me of resort, many units but not boxy. Inside the apartments are CARPETED!!! Have central heat [although at the moment my friend's heat doesn't work], have normal sliding door closets (mirrored), are not narrow and long, but big and spacious. Oh, and the front door is like a house door, so it doesn't lock behind you, therefore really preventing you from accidentally locking yourself out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment