This is my third holiday season in Boston and I've tried to continue certain holiday traditions that I grew up with. Every year since I can remember, we (my mom and me and my sisters) would bake candy cane cookies and sourdough cutouts (and chocolate chip cookies, but those are made year round). Last year the sourdough cookies were a hit at work, so as holiday gifts and for my holiday party I baked cookies.
I had to make a fresh batch of sourdough starter. A simple recipe that is yeast, warm water, flour and some salt (I think). I had it sitting out for 4 days, stirring a couple times a day. Then, when I was ready to do the baking, I made the cookie batter: sourdough starter, sugar, vanilla and almond extract, eggs, etc. I made 4 dozen cookies out of the dough. I hope that's enough for the party and for gifts.
Next day, I made the candy cane cookies. Flour, powder sugar, egg, butter, shortening, almond extract, and salt. Separate the dough into two bowls and add red food coloring to one.
So delicious, you cant just eat one. Make sure you have some milk or eggnog to wash them down with.
No comments:
Post a Comment