Memorial Day weekend. Three years ago this weekend, I flew into New England to live in Boston for the summer., never imagining I’d end up calling Boston home. Boy how time has flown! I never thought I’d end of up working for the Dean of Harvard Medical School, living in a good neighborhood with two bedrooms all to myself and becoming a city girl.
Four years ago I was free as a bird. Flying all over the States trying to find myself, find something that would make me happy. I find peace whenever I am traveling and this Memorial Day weekend, instead of celebrating the start of my fourth year in Boston, I’m traveling. My bestest friend moved to Monroe, LA a year ago and I miss her terribly. I decided to fly standby on my mom’s pass, which no doubt will be an adventure in itself.
As I write this at our cruising altitude to Dallas, the journey has just begun. I managed to get on an earlier flight out of Boston but will more than likely spend the night in Dallas b/c the flights to Monroe are overbooked.
The past year I’ve been struggling with the feeling I had before I quit my job in San Diego to travel. This weekend’s adventure is bringing me a sense of freedom and peace that I once experienced when all I had was my drivers license, credit card, Southwest miles and my suitcase and I set off to see a majority of the United States. I miss the open road [or I should say skies] and this weekend is just what I needed.
I’m such a planner and I think this weekend is the closest I’ll come to just showing up at an airport, picking a place and hopping on a flight without prior planning. It’s quite invigorating actually. Not knowing where all end up at the end of the day. If work didn’t get in the way, I could seriously see myself doing more spur of the moment trips. I must add this to my bucket list!
No comments:
Post a Comment