Another free movie screening. Tonight was a British film, Attack the Block. Going into it I knew it had to do with "inner city" kids [hoodlums] and an attack on their "block" which was their apartment complex. It's rated R for language [you think Boston's bad with the over usage of fuck? These kids make a sailor look clean]. Now, I didn't realize it would be about aliens. [Think scary MIB monkey wolf looking aliens.] But, figured it had something to do with turf wars (side story). Now I don't know much about South London where the movie takes place, but think MIB (or even Independence Day) in not the nicest urban area, with kid gangbanger wannabes instead of Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, fighting for their lives to save their friends, victims and building from aliens.
You have comedy, blood and guts, rap music, a pot room, and the English accent which at times makes it nearly impossible to understand what the kids are saying. A little less than an hour and a half running time and I was impressed. I jumped once b/c of the alien creature, but that's not saying much considering I jumped at Signs. Not a movie I would have even considered watching, but I was entertained and do recommend it. I think I enjoyed it b/c of my hip hop background (both listening to and studying the culture); I kind of empathized with these kids. The movie got a round of applause when the credits rolled and most of us watching were the people that go see tons of movies (and screenings), and I think besides Scream 4 when Wes Craven was in the audience with us, this was one that received a loud round of applause.
http://www.attacktheblock.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment