Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chargers vs. Patriots 9/18/11

Today was a special day. It was the Patriots home opener against the San Diego Chargers. I paid over $200 [single ticket sale, not from a private seller] for my 3rd row seat on the 5 yard line, home side. I've been to quite a few Pats games in San Diego, drove to AZ once, and of course here in New England. I can't believe it's been over 10 years since my dad flipped football channels and I caught a glimpse of the young Tom Brady [TB] throwing a pass after Drew Bledsoe's injury. In that moment, I was hooked! Growing up, we watch the Buffalo Bills [thanks to my dad's love for his home team, we were never a Chargers fan family] and I remember doing some research that season to make sure I watched all the NE games they showed on the West Coast. Never did I think I'd end up in New England all b/c of a QB. I remember Ty Law, Mike Vrabel, Adam Vinatieri, Richard Seymour, Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi and even Charlie Weis... those were the years! Man, did I become a fan of the team. I remember how I'd feel sick when Brady would throw an interception, and lets not talk about their less than perfect season [18-1 in 2007] when I felt like I'd been socked in the stomach and hurt for a few days after.

I've been to 2 AFC championship playoff games, both times it was the Chargers vs. Patriots. Once, in San Diego [man, I remember walking out of the stadium after the Pats win with my own personal body guards- Charger fans were not too happy with me, minus the one guy who congratulated me]. And once in Foxboro in 2007 when I bought a plane ticket a week before, flew to Boston for the first time ever and met a friend's ex-boyfriend who went to the game with me (I met the guy the morning of the game!). It was then, on a cold, flurry filled day that I fell in love with Boston and became part of the celebration for the Pat's 17-0 record.

So back to today. Yes, I went solo. The seat was probably the best seat I've had thus far (though, I have to admit, the field goal seats at the Cardinals old stadium were pretty decent too!). It is kind of like a vow renewal; I renewing my love to the New England Patriots as they take on the San Diego Chargers. The day before they had the ceremony for the newly inducted Hall of Famers, this was pretty cool b/c Drew Bledsoe was inducted and was present at this game. The guy who got injured a decade ago, allowing TB to steal my heart, was present [and standing in front of me on the field].

The game was awesome! The weather was gorgeous. I was disappointed that there wasn't a flyover, but like the past Charger/Pats match-up, the Pats came up on top [I had no doubt!]. I did however, trip after the half coming back to my seat with nachos and a drink, over the kid's feet sitting next to me, falling down on my knees, spilling my nachos all over the place. Those were the most expensive nachos I've ever had... $7 for a total of 6 chips (everything else was on the ground). Fortunately, no one was sitting in the 2 seats next to me, otherwise I probably would have had a head injury. I wanted to cry, but held it in and watched the remaining 3rd quarter and 4th. I didn't want to climb up all those stairs to have the EMTs look my knee. The fact that I could move them was a good sign, I really didn't want to have surgery for a fracture knee. I was a trooper! Final score: 35 Patriots, 21 Chargers. It was a long ass train ride home, got home at 9:30 (not too bad considering I had it in my head that I wouldn't be home until closer to midnight for some reason) and couldn't wait to ice my knees and take some Advil.

And so, this girl who went to a football game solo, ignored her injury all in the name of Patriot's football. Now, if that doesn't say "Fan", I don't know what does! I'm so glad I moved to Boston and look forward to the next game!

No comments:

Post a Comment