Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Intouchables

Last night I went to another free movie screening.  Sometimes I go just b/c it's free and I have no plans the night of the screening.  Other times I go because it's a movie I really want to see. 

There have been a few movies that I went into the theater knowing only the title and brief description and nothing else.  These movies tend to surprise me.  Not only b/c they have turned out to be great movies, but b/c they are movies I would have never consider seeing if I saw them at the Red Box, so I would have missed out. 

Last night's screening fits the type where I went because it's my birthday week and I was free.  I knew the title "The Intouchables" and that it was about a quadriplegic rich guy and a kid from the hood who becomes his assistant.  I did not know that this was a French film with English subtitles.  I think it was my first foreign film seen in theaters.

It was a touching story, based on a true story and was hilarious. Omar Sy was quite funny and he had my eyes wet from laughter.  I wasn't bored and was really into the story.  Sometimes it's best going into something with little to no expectations.  I kind of wish I spoke French so I didn't have to read the subtitles, but there are certain reactions and body language that need no translation.  Two guys from opposite sides of the track forming a unique friendship.

Great movie and it's one that I wouldn't mind buying when it's released on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment