Tuesday, June 26, 2012

That’s what I like about Sundays.

I’m not very religious. I was raised Catholic and do not call myself Christian but Catholic, even though Catholic’s are Christians. I don’t feel comfortable with those who force their beliefs on me. I don’t like seeing posts on FB quoting the bible. I can’t stand mega churches. I can’t quote the bible, I don’t force my beliefs on others and I don’t openly pray [I know there’s a part in the bible that says something about go to the farthest corner in the farthest room to pray in private]. I’m not a saint, I don’t act like I am. I enjoy going to church on Sundays. There’s something about being in a Catholic church (not a multipurpose room or strip mall building like some Christian services are held), the ritual of the mass, how I can go to any Catholic church anywhere in the world and would know what to do regardless of the language spoken.

I’d like to say I’m probably more spiritual than religious, there are some things that the Church and I do not see eye-to-eye on, but this is the case with most Catholics I know. I enjoy the 45 minutes spent in an old church, being quiet with the exception of responsorial.

This Sunday was the silver anniversary of priesthood for one of the priests. With that, we had a more traditional mass, meaning, we sang in Latin. My parish in O’side (with an Irish priest who I could listen to for hours even if he does remind me of Shrek) has one all Latin mass and then every mass has parts of text and song in Latin. So, I learned some Latin and it makes mass sound pretty to me. I couldn’t help but feel joyful at this Sunday’s mass when I was given the pamphlet that had Latin text and song in it. Yes it ran longer (an hour vs. the usual 45 minute mass) but I didn’t mind. I couldn’t believe how much the Latin speaking part made me so happy. I just wish I had that option every week.

I had a great weekend and have been smiling and in a good mood ever since I got off work on Friday and Sunday was like icing on the cake. I even started singing at home and wishing so badly I had Sister Act and Sister Act 2 on DVD b/c I was so in the mood to sing along to Whoopi and the gang. In fact, one of the songs we sang on Sunday was a song on the Sister Act
soundtrack. I was so happy to sing it and imagined Whoopi and the sisters singing during mass, lol.

There's nothing better than ending a week and starting a week with reflection and just being without outside distractions for close to an hour.

That’s what I like about Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment