My love for Tom Brady expanded to the early 2000s team. Vinatieri, Bruschi, Law, Branch, Faulk, Light and Belichick, Weis, and Romeo made a great team. I saw the Pats play in San Diego in 2002. I drove to AZ for the Cardinals home opener against the Pats in 2004; I remember the Cardinals paid tribute to Pat Tillman who lost his life to friendly fire fighting in Afghanistan during that game.
9/19/04 Home Opener in Arizona- scrapbook page b/c I didn't have a Mac or FB back then.
In January 2007, I went to the AFC Championship game in San Diego. I was booed and remember being escorted out of the stadium after the Patriots won, surrounded by my body guards (family friends who were big guys) b/c San Diego fans hate the Patriots.
1/14/07 AFC Championship game in San Diego
In 2008, a year after that AFC Championship game in San Diego, I decided to go to New England for the AFC Championship rematch, Patriots vs. Chargers. [Partially to piss off my coworkers who were Chargers fans.] I had never been to Boston before, and a week before the game I decided to buy a ticket and had some friends help arrange my visit and got me in touch with a friend who lived in Boston who was wiling to go to the game with me. It was cold, I remember wearing layers, snow boots and using those hand warmers inside my gloves...I also saw snow flurries for the first time. I had the best time rooting for the Patriots, my first time rooting for them in a stadium filled with Pats fan (no longer rooting for the away team, in the minority). They ended up beating the Chargers and made it to the Super Bowl in AZ. I was very tempted to drive to AZ and go to the game, but didn't. Unable to say they had a perfect season after losing to the NY Giant's in what was a very painful loss, I was quite thankful I didn't make that 8 hour drive to AZ. I remember leaving my friends house in San Diego right after the game, feeling like I had been punched in the stomach and felt ill for a few days afterwards. [To this day I still say they had a perfect regular season game...b/c they did and refuse to acknowledge that game in AZ]
1/20/08 AFC Championship Game in Foxborough, MA
Fast forward to 2009. I had quit my job in San Diego 5 months after the Super Bowl loss, taking time to travel the States and Europe. I spent a month in 2008 staying with friends in New England and in 2009 was offered an apartment in Boston for the summer. I was still traveling and used that opportunity to see if I loved Boston enough to make it home. I ended up loving Boston, and have lived here ever since. I've been to 4 Pats games since moving here. I had dinner with the team after a game in 2009 and got to go on the field [thanks to my roommate at the time dating a Pats equipment guy].
10/4/09 Gillette Stadium after the game
This year's home opener against the Chargers, I was 3 rows from the field on the home side. The best seats I've ever sat in. Fast forward to the AFC Championship game. That Pats win going to the Super Bowl. I'm praying the Giants lose the NFC Championship, but nope. It's a rematch to the 2008 game. I think back to 2008, my trip to Boston and I contemplate going to Indy for the Super Bowl. Less than two weeks before the Super Bowl, I do what many think is crazy, I buy a ticket to the Super Bowl and book a flight to Indy. The only reason I ever came to Boston was because of Tom Brady. This is the Patriots first Super Bowl since I moved to Boston. Tom Brady isn't getting any younger, who knows if I'll have another opportunity to do something crazy like this.
9/18/11 Home opener against the Chargers
Now I don't know what it was like in Boston all those other years when the Pats made it to the Super Bowl, but I am so sick of hearing and seeing all the photos and commentary and specials on TV and the Internet. I realize there's a lot more hype b/c this is a rematch, but for my own sake, I have boycotted watching the news and anything football related b/c my nerves can't take the buildup. 3 days to go before I touchdown in Indy and I'm starting to get anxious, nervous and excited.
Stay tuned b/c this Bostonian transplant is going to have a whole lot to write about in the coming days...and all b/c 10 years ago I fell in love with a hot, young quarterback from Northern California who went on to become the star quarterback of the New England Patriots.


No comments:
Post a Comment