![]() |
| Getting things set up before everyone arrives |
Friday I hosted Wine Club. It was a small group compared to what I'm used to, but it made the night that much better! 7 of us sat around my new patio table, sipping on Australian (and one South African by way of Australia) wines. We had a great spread of cheeses, breads and fruit. We even ate frosting from tubs for something sweet to go with some of the wine. It was a gorgeous evening and everyone had a great time. I consumed way too much wine and figured out it was because I was actually having a good time. Usually when I host, I'm always running around to the small groups that form when I have parties with 18 people, making sure everyone is fine and being a good hostess, so I don’t drink as much. With the people that came to Wine Club, everyone knew where I kept things and helped themselves if they needed anything, while I sat and enjoyed all the wine everyone brought (8 bottles plus a bottle of port I took out of my reserve), the yummy cheeses and the great conversations.
![]() |
| The spread outside on my new patio table |
We eventually made it in my apartment to watch the hockey game. Wine was spilled and the Bruins lost when the Canucks scored their goal. It sucked, but we all had a great time. I was drunk (and was a happy drunk), but the next morning proved that nothing goes unpunished. I had the spins, I’ll admit, during the hockey game and instead of being embarrassed when one of the guys found something, I laughed. Thank god I have such wonderful friends. I called up Suz who is greatly missed and some of us got to talk to her for a bit.
3am and I still wasn't asleep and my unwanted guest showed his face (yes, it was a fat mouse!) as I followed it into my stove top where he went down the heat vent!! Stomach started hurting and I camped out on the couch, waiting. I ended up throwing up finally around 9am after drinking some bad ginger ale, and after bowing to the porcelain throne, was finally able to get some sleep; I slept until 1pm. It was cold and rainy, so I stayed in, unable to move myself off the couch and not having cable, watched all these weird 1960 movies that were on “This TV” like “Bachelor Flat”, “The Brass Bottle”, “Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine”, “Dr. Goodfoot and the Girl Bombs”. I finally managed to eat some toast and some spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese, but man, I remembered why I don’t like drinking so much. I did have a chance to catch up with Suz for an hour on the phone, which made me feel a little better. It was so nice talking to her as if we were still living close to each other.
On Sunday, I had to get out after being laid up all Saturday. It was cold and rainy (in the 50s), but I managed to walk to and from church, fix some soup for lunch before heading out to meet a friend to do some shopping. We ended up eating at a Mexican place, Tio Juan’s Margaritas. I was craving Mexican food and I know New England does not have the best Mexican food, but I wanted some bean, cheese, guacamole and sour cream. Now, as a vegetarian, I definitely have a different standard when rating Mexican food. You can’t really mess up bean and cheese, and yet I was disappointed with the enchiladas I ordered. Their Mexican rice was not what I was used to (my mom’s is better), maybe too much lime juice? The beans were fine, but the enchilada sauce was not that great; again, I think they overdid it on the lime juice. I couldn’t eat all of my plate because my stomach started hurting, so I packed it up to go. Their chips and salsa were delicious. I have no complaints on their salsa.
3am and I still wasn't asleep and my unwanted guest showed his face (yes, it was a fat mouse!) as I followed it into my stove top where he went down the heat vent!! Stomach started hurting and I camped out on the couch, waiting. I ended up throwing up finally around 9am after drinking some bad ginger ale, and after bowing to the porcelain throne, was finally able to get some sleep; I slept until 1pm. It was cold and rainy, so I stayed in, unable to move myself off the couch and not having cable, watched all these weird 1960 movies that were on “This TV” like “Bachelor Flat”, “The Brass Bottle”, “Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine”, “Dr. Goodfoot and the Girl Bombs”. I finally managed to eat some toast and some spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese, but man, I remembered why I don’t like drinking so much. I did have a chance to catch up with Suz for an hour on the phone, which made me feel a little better. It was so nice talking to her as if we were still living close to each other.
On Sunday, I had to get out after being laid up all Saturday. It was cold and rainy (in the 50s), but I managed to walk to and from church, fix some soup for lunch before heading out to meet a friend to do some shopping. We ended up eating at a Mexican place, Tio Juan’s Margaritas. I was craving Mexican food and I know New England does not have the best Mexican food, but I wanted some bean, cheese, guacamole and sour cream. Now, as a vegetarian, I definitely have a different standard when rating Mexican food. You can’t really mess up bean and cheese, and yet I was disappointed with the enchiladas I ordered. Their Mexican rice was not what I was used to (my mom’s is better), maybe too much lime juice? The beans were fine, but the enchilada sauce was not that great; again, I think they overdid it on the lime juice. I couldn’t eat all of my plate because my stomach started hurting, so I packed it up to go. Their chips and salsa were delicious. I have no complaints on their salsa.


No comments:
Post a Comment