It may have taken me a year to figure this out, but I have learned that tennis shoes will not cut it once the temperature dips to freezing. In Boston, one needs 3 pairs of boots. 1.) Rain boots. These are for those rainy days, but not warm enough to wear when it snows. Mine have leaks so if it’s raining too hard my feet get wet (unless I wrap my feet in plastic bags before sticking them in the boots). 2.) Snow boots. I had a pair of snow boots (or so I thought) last year. They were warm enough, but they too leaked when it got all slushy. At the end of the winter season earlier this year, I bought myself some actual snow boots and am looking forward to wearing them this year. However, I learned the hard way yesterday that there is a third boot one needs and that leads me to…3.) Cold weather boots. So, rain boots aren’t warm enough and are quite uncomfortable to wear unless it rains. And you don’t want to look funny walking around in snow boots when it’s not snowing. So, you need cold weather boots to wear when it’s dry but freakin’ cold out! (Wearing tennis shoes with those air holes in them froze my feet walking around the city yesterday!) My first pair of “snow boots” I bought last year I think were actually meant to be cold weather boots and not made to wear all winter long, but they did keep my feet warm and I learned after my first mild New England winter that I really needed true snow boots. So, these black ones (old snow boots) are going to be my new “cold weather boots” as they will keep my feet nice and warm when its cold out and I can wear them commuting to work since they are black. It is time to pull out the boots and probably put my sandals away (also my shorts and t-shirts that I wont wear until Spring so I have room in my drawers for my cold weather gear). So my 3 Boston boots will last me the season, but have made a note to put “cold weather boots” on my end of season shopping list so I am prepared for next year now that I understand winter footwear a bit better. Boots weren’t too popular in sunny San Diego, so it took this transplant a while to catch on :)
This started as a 365 day-by-day blog of my life in Boston as a 2nd year transplant from May 2010- May 2011. I continued into my 3rd year before one of my New Year's Resolutions was to make something new each week. So I blogged about my dishes with photos. Now, another resolution has brought me back to blogging. In March 2014 I plan on spending only $45 which can only go towards food/beverages. Stay tuned to see how I do.
Monday, November 29, 2010
We Three Boots of Orient Are
It may have taken me a year to figure this out, but I have learned that tennis shoes will not cut it once the temperature dips to freezing. In Boston, one needs 3 pairs of boots. 1.) Rain boots. These are for those rainy days, but not warm enough to wear when it snows. Mine have leaks so if it’s raining too hard my feet get wet (unless I wrap my feet in plastic bags before sticking them in the boots). 2.) Snow boots. I had a pair of snow boots (or so I thought) last year. They were warm enough, but they too leaked when it got all slushy. At the end of the winter season earlier this year, I bought myself some actual snow boots and am looking forward to wearing them this year. However, I learned the hard way yesterday that there is a third boot one needs and that leads me to…3.) Cold weather boots. So, rain boots aren’t warm enough and are quite uncomfortable to wear unless it rains. And you don’t want to look funny walking around in snow boots when it’s not snowing. So, you need cold weather boots to wear when it’s dry but freakin’ cold out! (Wearing tennis shoes with those air holes in them froze my feet walking around the city yesterday!) My first pair of “snow boots” I bought last year I think were actually meant to be cold weather boots and not made to wear all winter long, but they did keep my feet warm and I learned after my first mild New England winter that I really needed true snow boots. So, these black ones (old snow boots) are going to be my new “cold weather boots” as they will keep my feet nice and warm when its cold out and I can wear them commuting to work since they are black. It is time to pull out the boots and probably put my sandals away (also my shorts and t-shirts that I wont wear until Spring so I have room in my drawers for my cold weather gear). So my 3 Boston boots will last me the season, but have made a note to put “cold weather boots” on my end of season shopping list so I am prepared for next year now that I understand winter footwear a bit better. Boots weren’t too popular in sunny San Diego, so it took this transplant a while to catch on :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment