I stepped outside for the first time in 2 days and it wasn't nearly as cold as I expected, ran to catch the bus, so that may have helped. I made it though work, but it was rough...my head still is fuzzy and eyes watery. I had one of my friends come over for dinner to catch up. We walked over to grab cheap but delicious Chinese food across the street from me and just talked and caught each other up on stuff. It was nice not cooking or having dishes to clean or spending tons of money. It totally reminded me of all those nights I would go over to my BFF's house in San Marcos and have dinner and just hang out, sometimes in lazy clothes. How I miss those nights. But tonight was the closest I've come to reliving those nights since I moved to Boston. As I filled my friend in on the latest events rocking Lorien-world I found myself getting all excited and lighting up as I talk about my Latin Lover and my trip to see him in February. I have 3 months to drop the 20 pounds I've gained since I last saw him and tonight I figured some shit out. Like, I'm not going to get a Masters degree. Some people feel like they need it or want it or should get it because you will earn more money. Well, not me. I don't have a subject I'm willing to spend hours and money on in hopes it will get me a better job or pay. I'm not a careerist. I'm ok with making money to pay for living and a few annual trips, I don't need lots of money and I don't have a field I want to work in. I was reminded who I used to be, the me in the photo on the mountain- my first trip to Denver, first time snowboarding- my first trip with Latin Lover, a happy me! He always makes me smile, always knows how to bring me back down to earth when I get in one of my worked up, stressed out moods. The pre-Boston Lorien used to spend 2 hours in the gym taking back-to-back classes. I was so dedicated, I thought about getting certified to teach gym classes. So, I've realized all these crazy social bookings on my calendar has not made me happy. I've once again lost sight of me. I used to workout everyday and was healthy and happy and I need to get back to doing this for me, even if it means having to say "no" to social gatherings. If I am working out, I'm not going out spending money on calorie loaded food and drinks. If I am working out, I'm releasing stress and tension. If I am working out, I'm doing it for me, saving money and losing weight. Once I get back in shape, maybe I can finally get my fitness instructor certificate and start teaching classes. So, once I get well again, Boston is going to see me bring back the gym rat. 3 months to lose 20 pounds, hell yes I can do it. I know what I have to do- actually I've known what I have to do for awhile, but now I have the motivation needed to do it! Isn't it amazing what wisdom can come from a container of Vegetable Lo Mein, a glass of water and a fabulous friend? One last piece of wisdom I'd like to share with you all...this coming from a yummy cookie... "Courtesy Costs Nothing", so remember that as you get in your cars to commute to work, or hop on the bus and/or T in the morning.
This started as a 365 day-by-day blog of my life in Boston as a 2nd year transplant from May 2010- May 2011. I continued into my 3rd year before one of my New Year's Resolutions was to make something new each week. So I blogged about my dishes with photos. Now, another resolution has brought me back to blogging. In March 2014 I plan on spending only $45 which can only go towards food/beverages. Stay tuned to see how I do.
Monday, November 8, 2010
Wisdom from Chinese Food
I stepped outside for the first time in 2 days and it wasn't nearly as cold as I expected, ran to catch the bus, so that may have helped. I made it though work, but it was rough...my head still is fuzzy and eyes watery. I had one of my friends come over for dinner to catch up. We walked over to grab cheap but delicious Chinese food across the street from me and just talked and caught each other up on stuff. It was nice not cooking or having dishes to clean or spending tons of money. It totally reminded me of all those nights I would go over to my BFF's house in San Marcos and have dinner and just hang out, sometimes in lazy clothes. How I miss those nights. But tonight was the closest I've come to reliving those nights since I moved to Boston. As I filled my friend in on the latest events rocking Lorien-world I found myself getting all excited and lighting up as I talk about my Latin Lover and my trip to see him in February. I have 3 months to drop the 20 pounds I've gained since I last saw him and tonight I figured some shit out. Like, I'm not going to get a Masters degree. Some people feel like they need it or want it or should get it because you will earn more money. Well, not me. I don't have a subject I'm willing to spend hours and money on in hopes it will get me a better job or pay. I'm not a careerist. I'm ok with making money to pay for living and a few annual trips, I don't need lots of money and I don't have a field I want to work in. I was reminded who I used to be, the me in the photo on the mountain- my first trip to Denver, first time snowboarding- my first trip with Latin Lover, a happy me! He always makes me smile, always knows how to bring me back down to earth when I get in one of my worked up, stressed out moods. The pre-Boston Lorien used to spend 2 hours in the gym taking back-to-back classes. I was so dedicated, I thought about getting certified to teach gym classes. So, I've realized all these crazy social bookings on my calendar has not made me happy. I've once again lost sight of me. I used to workout everyday and was healthy and happy and I need to get back to doing this for me, even if it means having to say "no" to social gatherings. If I am working out, I'm not going out spending money on calorie loaded food and drinks. If I am working out, I'm releasing stress and tension. If I am working out, I'm doing it for me, saving money and losing weight. Once I get back in shape, maybe I can finally get my fitness instructor certificate and start teaching classes. So, once I get well again, Boston is going to see me bring back the gym rat. 3 months to lose 20 pounds, hell yes I can do it. I know what I have to do- actually I've known what I have to do for awhile, but now I have the motivation needed to do it! Isn't it amazing what wisdom can come from a container of Vegetable Lo Mein, a glass of water and a fabulous friend? One last piece of wisdom I'd like to share with you all...this coming from a yummy cookie... "Courtesy Costs Nothing", so remember that as you get in your cars to commute to work, or hop on the bus and/or T in the morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment