Today was a State holiday here in MA. I didn't get it off even though I work in Boston, so I took a floating holiday. The race goes right past my apartment. I can see it from my back porch, or walk up to the corner to have a front row view. I went out around 11:30am as the wheel chair race was going. It was a fun time. You saw people wearing sandals, running barefoot, running in tons of different outfits (yes, some costumes like Batman, Robin, Wonder Women, Cowboys, ballerinas, hamburgers, etc) and even Army guys in full gear ran the 26.2 mile race. The Kenyans are tiny people and the winner broke the record coming in at 2:03:02, in fact, the top 4 men beat the old record which was 2:05:52. I went back in to put on some more sun screen about 2pm and came out for another hour and half to cheer for the runners. Clapping and shouting out names that were written on runners arms, legs or shirts and calling out colleges or cities that were represented. I feel beat from standing, but nothing compared to what theses athletes feel tonight. It was a gorgeous day out, started out with a cool breeze in the 40s and got to the high 50s before the clouds came in towards the late afternoon. The local Tavern were out barbecuing and selling alcohol. Neighbors were having parties all day and continue as I type this. I'm just sad that this year was the one year that my friend didn't run. This is totally a Boston experience and I am glad I was able to see it this year. Oh, and of course, like the other years when I watched the marathon on TV or the computer...I have the urge to pick up running, which never lasts too long.
This started as a 365 day-by-day blog of my life in Boston as a 2nd year transplant from May 2010- May 2011. I continued into my 3rd year before one of my New Year's Resolutions was to make something new each week. So I blogged about my dishes with photos. Now, another resolution has brought me back to blogging. In March 2014 I plan on spending only $45 which can only go towards food/beverages. Stay tuned to see how I do.
Monday, April 18, 2011
Boston Marathon/Patriot's Day
Today was a State holiday here in MA. I didn't get it off even though I work in Boston, so I took a floating holiday. The race goes right past my apartment. I can see it from my back porch, or walk up to the corner to have a front row view. I went out around 11:30am as the wheel chair race was going. It was a fun time. You saw people wearing sandals, running barefoot, running in tons of different outfits (yes, some costumes like Batman, Robin, Wonder Women, Cowboys, ballerinas, hamburgers, etc) and even Army guys in full gear ran the 26.2 mile race. The Kenyans are tiny people and the winner broke the record coming in at 2:03:02, in fact, the top 4 men beat the old record which was 2:05:52. I went back in to put on some more sun screen about 2pm and came out for another hour and half to cheer for the runners. Clapping and shouting out names that were written on runners arms, legs or shirts and calling out colleges or cities that were represented. I feel beat from standing, but nothing compared to what theses athletes feel tonight. It was a gorgeous day out, started out with a cool breeze in the 40s and got to the high 50s before the clouds came in towards the late afternoon. The local Tavern were out barbecuing and selling alcohol. Neighbors were having parties all day and continue as I type this. I'm just sad that this year was the one year that my friend didn't run. This is totally a Boston experience and I am glad I was able to see it this year. Oh, and of course, like the other years when I watched the marathon on TV or the computer...I have the urge to pick up running, which never lasts too long.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment