My first time in Southie and an experience it was as I made my way through the crowds to watch the St. Patty's Day parade. It seemed like all of Boston (600,000-1M people) were down watching the parade today. We were towards the middle/end of the parade, on our feet in the shade. I wore tights, a skirt, drinking socks, long sleeved shirt with a top over and my Ireland sweatshirt, thin gloves and a shamrock headband. After 2 hours standing, I couldn't feel my toes. The South Boston St. Patrick's Parade is the second largest parade in the country. Police, Fire, Military, bagpipes and drums, marching bands, politicians, horses, the Wilcollane Singers from Cork, Ireland and motorcycles and costumes. It was insane! The crowd was dressed in all shades of green (not hard to do living in Boston, with the Celtics sporting green and shamrocks and the Red Sox with green and clovers on some of their apparel, it's practically St. Patty's Day year round here). I don't know if I'd do it again, kind of like the Rose Parade and Macy's Thanksgiving day parade...you don it once, you don't really need to do it again.
I didn't stay for the entire parade, it was long and I was cold and sore from standing. I managed to find my way to the T stop (having to cross over the police tape and parade route to do so) and met my friend and her friends in town before we took the T out to Forrest Hills to catch a bus to Roslindale where we ate, drank and played pool. It was a fun time and I enjoyed listening to a true Irishman (one of the girl's husband is from Limerick).
No comments:
Post a Comment