Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy Hanukkah


No, I'm not Jewish. I was born and raised Catholic, but there may be some Jew in me down the line. I have celebrated Hanukkah before (well sort of) b/c my ex in Cali is Jewish. I have a dreidle from when I was a kid (no idea where I got it but I do remember I used to know the symbols on the sides and would play with it using chocolate coins). Living in a predominate Jewish town now, it's funny seeing blue lights instead of the colorful lights and white lights I grew up seeing. Where you see menorahs from the windows instead of Christmas trees. The other day I was out in my living room and had the curtains open with the Christmas tree lights on and I heard a girl walking by with her friend say "ohhh a Christmas tree!" So clearly, I've been noted as being a gentile among the Jews (or so it feels).

This Advent calendar I have had since I was a kid. Every year my mom would hang it up so the 3 of us could take turns putting the plastic Christmas figures up on the Christmas tree to countdown the days left 'til Christmas. The felt has thinned over the years and faded, we still have all put one piece (for the 25th) and to be honest, I do not even remember there being a 25th figure. So 25 stays blank and we open presents when it gets to that day. A few years back I had to put Velcro on the tree because the felt was too thin to hold the Velcro-backed figures. Since I am the first born and it holds more sentimental value to me, I brought it with me last year. This is the first time I've had it up in my own place, a touch of "home" is proudly displayed in my dining room. Tonight I placed the elf on the tree. For those who are counting...24 more days until Christmas and I hope you all take time to enjoy these 24 days because they are going to whiz by.

No comments:

Post a Comment