Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Potato Latkes


I remember a store my mom used to take us to to buy grocery's up on the hill near O'side High. I remember parking in that parking lot after the store closed down on the 4th of July because it was free and close to the beach. The Canned Food Store I think it was called. Anyway, I'm not Jewish but I am German so I don't think it's strange when I say I used to love eating these potato pancakes (or hash browns as I called them when I was a kid b/c they look like larger versions of McDonald's hash browns). They are a part of a traditional cuisine for most of Europe (at least Eastern Europe- including German, Austria and Switzerland). So today, when I walked to the store in below freezing weather, I noticed these potato latkes on sale (probably b/c it's Hanukkah) so I bought 2 of them since they were BoGo. Man, I don't remember seeing these in the store since I was a kid, so I'm pretty excited. They look nothing like the Jewish potato latkes I attempted to make one year and I just today put two and two together...you say potato latkes, I say hash browns, but anyway go ahead... say "oy vey". I love breakfast so I know I will eat them, I just hope they are as yummy as I remember b/c it has been decades since I last had me some. The store was also a place I nearly panicked b/c I lost my brand new extra toasty gloves...but thankfully some guys saw them and I was able to get them back. I would have been mad if I lost them since I just bought them, but crisis averted.

No comments:

Post a Comment