Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Let's go to the Movies


A rainy day in Boston. Temps in the 70's... humid. Perfect day to go to the movies. I love going to the movies on Tuesdays. As a frequent viewer, I get $1 popcorn every Tuesday. It used to be free, but they keep increasing the size of the popcorn bag, so now I pay a buck. Do you remember when a large was the size of the current small? I do, and yet, years ago I would order the kid's size and be content, only to find myself nearly finishing off a small all by myself now (which used to be a large back in the day). I also bring my own soda. Yup, I brought in a can of Coke Zero to drink with my theater bought popcorn, along with my water bottle. Oh, and I usually spend $7 on the ticket instead of the $11.50 they charge for tickets now a days, and because I'm a frequent movie go-er and earn points, tonight's movie was free. (I really know how to live on the cheap, maybe I'll fill you in on some tips in a future blog.)

Anyway, me and my friend Suzanna (who makes a great movie date) saw "The Town". I must say, I dunno what movies my friends are watching, but there weren't any jumpy parts in this one (at least not for me, maybe b/c I love action movies and am used to blood and guys getting shot up??). It's funny because now that I live in Boston, I love watching movies that were/are filmed here. It's cool knowing exactly where the scenes take place, and yet I never see anyone filming things when I'm walking around town and have yet to run into a celebrity (I did run into Tiger Woods, literally ran into him, a few years ago, but that was in NYC, so it doesn't count). I liked the movie, but if I were to buy it, I think it would be just b/c it takes place in Boston, and not because it's a terrific movie (I didn't think it was). I also wonder what the rest of the US thinks of this movie b/c I know some of the lines we in Boston totally get because we live here, but the rest of the world doesn't have a clue (or do they? not like California's know Southie and Dorchester could be compared to some ghetto neighborhoods in L.A.). Another thing I was think, the characters could be anyone from Boston. I swear, I've ran into guys just like the ones in the movie. The look, the talk, the tats...those are not the Boston boys I dreamt about meeting when I moved here (just for the record). So friends and family from outside New England, if you see "The Town", I am curious to hear your reaction and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment