Sunday, September 5, 2010

Reflections


To everything (turn, turn, turn)/ There is a season (turn, turn, turn). The sun was warm, but the air had the autumn crisp to it. It's September. School is back in session. Starbucks has their Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Oktoberfest and Pumpkin beers are coming out. The leaves are starting to turn, turn, turn. It's no longer Summer. Today I bought some donuts at DD and a coffee at Starbucks and planted myself in front of my friends TV and got hooked on "Dexter" and "The Tudors". Thank goodness I don't have TV, cuz I might just never leave my apartment again! It is nice having down days, with nothing planned. The perfect time to reflect...

I came to Boston hoping to land me a fine New Englander with the accent, however, now I'm beginning to think that the boys who possess that particular accent are the uneducated, alcoholic, smoking, and rude males I want nothing to do with. So, I am retracting that part of my "why I moved to Boston" statement. :)

The T has some interesting characters, like this black lady last night on the T who was probably in her 30s. She sat down next to me and had a backpack on and every time she moved, she would hit me with it bc it was still on her back. She didn't even seem to care or notice that she kept whacking me with it. She was carrying a doll, like the kind a 3 year old can't depart from without throwing a fit. She then started talking gibberish to these guys who looked like they just came from a Red Sox game. As she exited the T, she kept tapping one of the guys on the back who reacted by said "please don't touch me". She probably has some mental disorder, like many of the Boston interesting T characters, but it's still entertaining.

Dear want-to-be Vegas Lounge singer that rotates from T station to T station. You may earn some money as it is now, but you'd probably make more if you didn't seem to shout into the microphone making it nearly impossible to make out the Motown songs you're trying to sing while having the soundtrack blast from the stereo speakers as loud as you do. Just sayin'

Cambridge reminds me of the last time of NYC... once I got there, I couldn't wait to leave! Too much going on and I fell claustrophobic every time I'm in Harvard Square.

A pretty girl walking into an empty Dunkin Donuts shop where a lonely male worker sits behind the counter, will get a dozen donuts discounted (as I did today).

In California, there is a Starbucks on every corner. In Boston, not only is there a Dunkin Donuts on every corner, there are also bars in every other business space.

New Englander's hunker down come wintertime. Me, I become alive wanting to go out and have fun, while they all want to hibernate.

All these negative feelings from this time last year are creeping up in my body, all I can do is smile and try holding it together. I have the means and motive to make better memories for this year!

I still can't believe that I am living on my own, thousands of miles away from where I grew up, away from my family and friends. Every day feels like a dream, a dream I don't want to want to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment